Vlycho's name comes from the approximately 30 Vlychos (springs) that spring water along the mountain Amali at the foot of which the city is built.
Vlichos was for over 600 years a place inherited from one conqueror to another. During the Ottoman Turks in 1479-1684 the city belonged to "pashas" ,where during 1684-1789, when Venetians ruled the land, the power was distributed between feudal lords, like the Tsalampaioi, Machairaioi, by, Conte Kavvadas, Valaoritaioi etc, who fought alongside the Venetians against the Turks. Their descendants came to power and in the years of English, French, Russian-Turkish occupation. The common fact between all regimes of conquerors was that they always served the nobility, because through them, they could rule more effectively the lower social classes.
Noone in Vluxos gained their fortune by luck; they gained it with blood and sweat from their personal work, leasing the land from the nobles, and from remittances sent home by fellow villagers in America.
Even if Vlycho is always seems to be inhabited throughout the centuries of various conquerors, the common consciousness of the village began to take shape in 1850 and beyond.
The economical development of the village Vlycho was topped from 1910 to 1940 when at least ten large commercial ships where handling many goods to and from the island. At that time vluxos was the largest construction "site" of the island, and the local trader, John Sklavenitis, considered one of the largest traders in western Greece. However the city's development came to an end with the world war in 1940.
Today - even though done important work in the field of contruction have been done, it seems that Vluxos is still seeking the spark that will light up again the region's development since it is an impressive monument of natural beauty.
Just outside the village, on a hilltop with excellent view, lies the chapel of St. John the Baptist. It is a small open plan room with wooden tiled saddle roof, which must have replaced an older higher roof. The whole church is full of murals from, probably, the early 17th century. Most of them now need special care and even if they are faded by time and neglect are still one of the few sets of post-Byzantine frescoes in Lefkada.
The beautiful traditional Vlycho, 20 km from the town of Lefkada is squeezed between mountains and sea. The beach is suitable for mooring and servicing boats. Continuing the Vlycho to detour to the left, the trail leads among olive trees in the lush region Geni, and beachfront Desimi.